Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Man in the moon

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.

You know we'll have a good time then."
~ Harry Chapin ~

You've probably heard that song sung by someone other than the original writer - Ugly Kid Joe comes to mind - but have you ever wondered where the phrase 'man in the moon' comes from? According to Wikipedia, different cultures apparently see different things in the moon. The man in the moon is generally Western in origin. However, in other cultures, like the Maori, the woman supposedly shows a woman with a local tree. And of course our very own Chinese neighbours also hold that a woman is in the moon. There's supposed to be a rabbit in there as well, according to Chinese, Korean and Japanese folklore. And that's not all. There's a crab, a toad, a beetle, and according to Christian legend, even St. George slaying a dragon. Looks like the moon's one crowded place!

Anyway, have you been outside tonight? Saw the moon, big and round on our way back from Likas Sports Complex Park earlier this evening. Quite beautiful. Here's a photo I just took this evening of the full moon tonight.






5 comments:

carolchs said...

OMG! Punya clear ko dapat!
I saw it too but my tripod tertinggal di Penampang. Mau ambi without the tripod, gerenti 100 kali shot pun tiada yg sharp.

Perry R. Lim said...

Even with the tripod it took me quite a number of shots. Getting the right exposure was tricky. Had to switch to manual before I could get the shot I wanted. The AE was exposing it for too long, and so all you'd get is a white blob.

Tried with a teleconverter but the results were not sharp. In the end used my 70-300. This photo is actually cropped; the original kici saja the moon.

travelbugme said...

Whoahhh nice shot of the moon Perry. One of the best I've seen so far! I have never attempted a shot at the moon except once a long time ago. I find it... uh a little eerie to do so ever since, if you can believe that. Hehe.

Perry R. Lim said...

Thank you, thank you. err...what's so eerie about shooting the moon?

travelbugme said...

Im just weird that way I guess (of course as you can see this is a pathetic way to elude having to explain myself) :)

 
ss_blog_claim=e22bcb184b7f0fc3f06d15b2b7f7110c