Thursday, June 26, 2008

Crunch time


Anyone who has never sat for a test, please raise your hands. Didn’t think, so. We’ve all gone through our fair share of exams, sitting behind a table, pen or pencil in hand, sometimes scribbling away furiously (just in case those bits of information we need to regurgitate suddenly decided to do a disappearing act), sometimes staring blankly at the paper on our table, wondering where to start or even what to write! It’s not a very pleasant experience…

But, come tomorrow, a number of Maths and Science teachers in Sabah and Sarawak will undergo a test. Why? To assess their English competency. As both subjects are supposed to be taught in English, so teachers have to have enough language competency in order to teach. Hence, the assessment tomorrow. In fact, tomorrow’s just the start. They will be assessed in writing, listening and speaking. Tomorrow’s the speaking component, the hardest of the three I think, for it can really expose your ability. With writing, you still have time to arrange your thoughts, and to consider you sentences, while listening just tests how well you understand speech, no language output necessary. But speaking, now that’s tough.

Why else do you think people get butterflies in their tummies when they’re about to speak? You need to think on your feet, and the words that come out of your mouth are more or less spontaneous, no time for careful thoughts on how you would say something. What’s more, it’s a test…

I always get nervous when I’m being interviewed, and for some embarrassing reason, my voice will start to quiver. I try to control it, but I never really succeed. I hate it when that happens. So, I can imagine the situation tomorrow.

Here’s wishing the best to all the teachers!

p.s. what kind of exam sends shivers down your spine?

1 comment:

Mas Light said...

Well gewd luck for all the teachers who will go through this examination process.. @_@ I dislike exams...especially the non favorite subjects @_@

oh yeah, and I hate interviews. I get so nervous that I feel like crying T_T

 
ss_blog_claim=e22bcb184b7f0fc3f06d15b2b7f7110c