Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Round 1

I guess it's still not too late to wish everyone a Selamat Hari Raya.

I'm enjoying my week-long break. And today being the first day of the celebrations, we went visitng...and eating. My wife and I initially thought of going to the Chief Minister's Open House at the Sports Complex near where I live. Several friends told us that it's such a big thing, with all the big 5-star hotels coming in presenting all their glorious food for all and sundry to eat. That's in addition to the numerous other smaller stalls all around the complex. It sounded so enticing!

But, since my wife and I had already promised a couple of our friends that we'd be coming to their house, we didn't. But, we told each other that next year (God willing) will warrant a definite visit to that food-eating extravaganza.

I actually woke up quite late today, but wife and Adelle were up earlier. So, that pushed back our time for departing for our friends' place. When all of us were finally ready, it was 11.20 am, and by the time we reached the first house (belonging to my wife's colleague) it was close to noon already. Along the way, we prepped Adelle so that she'd be able to wish the hosts 'Selamat Hari Raya' (actually we had been doing this since yesterday!), but no a squeak came out of her when she was face to face with the host. But, she warmed up to everyone later and helped give out packet drinks to other visitors! So, we ate, chatted and ate some more, and said our goodbyes. On to the next house...

The second house was my colleague's family house and when we arrived, all my other colleagues had already left. No matter. Again, we tried to persuade Adelle to say 'Selamat Hari Raya' but she refused (looks like we'll have to train her again for tomorrow's visits). As is usual when visiting open houses, we ate, chatted, and ate some more. Adelle ate as well. She finished off a couple of satay sticks all by herself. Before this, she had already been enjoying the Raya goodies at the previous house and she picked up right where she left off then.

At both houses, Adelle was pretty shy in the beginning. She'd stick to either my wife or me. But she's like a diesel engine - she needs a bit of time to get warmed up. So, when she was warmed up at the second house, she got my colleague's sister, her nephew and another boy to take her round the house for a walk! She also finally said 'Selamat Hari Raya' but that was when we were about to leave. Better late than never, right?

So, we left my colleague's place and went home. Adelle was already asleep in the car when we arrived and both Daddy and daughter went to the room to rest. Ngggzzzz....

Tomorrow's another day.

1 comment:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Gee, all I did was stay home and sleep. Somebody invite me to your house for Raya, please! LOL!

 
ss_blog_claim=e22bcb184b7f0fc3f06d15b2b7f7110c