Thursday, October 29, 2009

How good is your memory?

We've each got about 100 billion neurons (that's brain cells to you and me) in our brain. But, how do you explain that some people have better memory than others? Is it because, for the rest of us (or me, at least), a lot of those information-transmitting cells have been damaged? Or is it because people with good memory have somehow trained themselves to remember better?

Just this evening as I was putting Adelle to sleep, I was reminded of the remarkable organ enclosed in our head that is our brain. Part of the routine before Adelle goes to sleep is the bedtime story. She has one particular story that she likes very much, and that is the story of baby Moses. I've lost track of the countless times either my wife or I have read that particular story to her, but Adelle just doesn't seem to get tired of listening to it over and over and over again.

In fact, she's listened to it so many times, that you can just start off by reading the first word, and she'll continue telling you the story! And the amazing bit is she does it almost word for word. My wife told me that she could do this not too long ago, but I hadn't witnessed this extraordinary feat (to me at least) until today. She does miss out or changes certain words as she goes along telling the story, but still...

She hasn't quite memorised the whole 5 half-page story yet. I figure the last page hasn't quite assimilated into her being yet...hahaha. But, that's hardly what describes me. I see, and read the words. But, I don't remember much of them. The only bit I remember very well is the rhyme that's in the story which I've turned into a simple song to the tune of "Twinkle, twinkle little star". Adelle likes it, and she sings along whenever we come to that part:

Little brother in a boat,
God and I will watch you float,
While the river breezes blow,
Rest well in your basket low,
Little brother in a boat,
God and I will watch you float.

Putting words into song is always a good memory-helper, but I can't go round singing everything I need to remember, can I?

4 comments:

Mas Light said...

Waw, I dun think I can remember text unless it's been told to me. That's how I remember things. Reading doesn't help.

Perry R. Lim said...

maslight: I think I'm a combination of both. I need to read and hear the words to remember better. But again, this is only if I'm a bit more focussed. :)

Audrey Koh said...

that's really sweet.. you're very blessed to hv a smart kid. hope besra n adele will hv a chance to meet n play together one day.. ;-) kiss for the lil sweetie!

Perry R. Lim said...

Audrey: Yes, I am blessed. Sometimes, the way she talks and the way she thinks for a not-quite three year old just amazes me!

I hope so too!

 
ss_blog_claim=e22bcb184b7f0fc3f06d15b2b7f7110c